Pages

November 29, 2009

Spaghetti Carbonara

As I sit here, writing this recipe, I am eating some leftovers from tonight's dinner. Even though its cold, it still tastes good! Yummy!!

I got this recipe from a fellow blogger (http://www.myitaliangrandmother.com/). I love her blog because A.) It's inspired from her grandmother, B.) I like the song that plays while you're reading the recipes. It almost gets me more excited to make pasta, and C.) I absolutely love everything and anything Italian!

I did, however, change a few things. Some things I did were, I used fettuccine instead of spaghetti, I added ham in addition to the bacon, and I used Parmesan instead of Romano cheese. With that said, lets move on to the recipe.


Spaghetti Carbonara (remember I used fettuccine)

1 medium onion, diced
6 slices of bacon, diced
1 clove garlic, minced <----- I used like 4-5
1/4 cup pinot grigio <----
I used regular cooking wine
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 lb spaghetti <------ fettuccine
3 eggs beaten
2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
1/2 cup or more of Romano cheese <-------Parmesan
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

1. Bring salted water to a boil.

2. While the water is getting to a boil, cook bacon in large pan. I let it get crispy, but not to the point where it's burned. When bacon is cooked remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

3. Saute onion and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add a bit more oil if needed. Add the wine to the onions/garlic. This will deglaze it.Make sure to scrape all the bacon bits that stuck to the pan. Once almost all the liquid is gone, turn off the stove.



4. Add pasta to your already boiling water. While pasta is cooking, beat eggs, cream and grated cheese in a small bowl and set aside.



5. When pasta is al dente remove with tongs and add to the pan with onions reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water. Toss in bacon.

6. Slowly add 1/4 cup of hot pasta water to the eggs whisking quickly to temper the eggs to prevent scrambling. Toss with hot pasta, sprinkle with parsley and add if it seems very dry add more of the pasta water but only if you need it. Top with more Romano cheese.

Serve immediately!

***Since I added ham, what I did was add the ham with the bacon, and let it cook together.***

No comments:

Post a Comment