Pages

January 28, 2011

New Cookbook!

Should I be worried if a cookbook has a warning label?
This past Christmas I received a cookbook different than all the other ones I have. I get really happy whenever I get cookbooks! Very happy!

I thought these were going to be recipes that everyday Joe's were eating in their kitchen. By the way, I was so excited to get it, I neglected to completely read the cover and missed that warning label. After breifly skimming through it, I realized this was going to be an adveture book.

I actually found it a bit intimidating at first, and have looked through it quite a few times since Christmas. Regardless the number of times I look through it, I always end up finding something new thats either really complicated, gross, intriguing, interesting, and every once in a while, something very doable.




A couple of the recipes are just mouth watering. Crab souffle. Perfect Macaroni Cheese, and yes, thats the actual name. Paella di Marisco. Fava beans & Chorizo. Easy, finger-licking garlicky shrimp and the list goes on.


But then comes the 2nd warning.

Let me just start off by saying, yes, I have seen these items on the the Travel Channel, but in all honesty, it never crossed my mind to want to cook them someday.

I am one that is always willing to try somethings at least once. Why not? If people have eaten it for thousands of years all over the world, why can't I? However, I don't think I really thought it through or perhaps I imaged them looking differently.




Some things just don't look or sound thats great. Maybe they could have fancied it up a bit and added Yak's Penis in a Red Wine Reduction or something.


YAK'S PENIS.


Thats all you're getting. Then again, I don't think you can do much with it. The picture doesn't help it either. Don't you think if it were in nugget form, battered with a bit of panko, and fried it would be a bit more appealing to the eye? Maybe not.


Palm Weevils, Cane Rat, Duck Feet Webs, and 1,000 year old eggs are just a couple of the other recipes listed under the "WILD" chapter of this book. I'm not even sure where to get some of these, and probably, unless its in some far off land, I'll never cross paths with them
.
Oh, and there's a 3rd warning.
Under any circumstance, do not try making 1,000 year old eggs at home.
I really do enjoy this cookbook, and eventually will start posting yummy treats from it, genital free ones.
Zimmern, no need to worry, I'll leave your bizarre food all to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment