Pages

February 2, 2011

Gnocchi Mac & Cheese

Mac & Cheese, really, who doesn't like Mac & Cheese? I, for one, love it. I love anything with cheese really, but anything with cheese sauces gets an extra kudos. Its comfort food. Its easy. Its delicious.

I recently started an online weight loss support group, because don't I know I need it, but in the back of my mind I have had this recipe: GNOCCHI MAC & CHEESE. The page is very motivating and knowing that I would soon get rid of "unhealthy" items in my kitchen. I figured I might as well get it out of my system, and boy was it worth it.




Ingredients

Packages gnocchi (you can use homemade too)
2 tbsp butter
1tbsp flour
4 chopped garlic cloves or to taste
1/4 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup sharp cheddar (you can use any cheese mix you like. These are just what I had)
3/4 cup milk
Parmesan Cheese (I only had powdered)
1tsp mustard
Salt/Pepper
Red Pepper Powder (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a pan melt the butter. Once melted, add the garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for about 1 minute.

Add milk and mustard. Whisk it well. Let it thicken.

Add Cheese a little at a time until well melted.

Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper.

Place cooked gnocchi in a shallow oven safe dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.


Pour sauce over gnocchi. Sprinkle with parmesan.

Stick in oven and bake for 30 minutes. The last 5 minutes or so I raised the oven to 450 degrees for that extra browning.


I think I actually enjoyed this more than Mac & Cheese.

A few minutes after making it, I had some hungry guests come over, and they had 2 bowls of it each. So now I definitely know its as yummy as I thought it was.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of gnocchi mac & cheese - very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was phenomenal! It combined 2 of my favorite types of food! Next time I will make it with different cheeses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. It. Two favorite comfort foods right there in one. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm. This reminds me of "drooling gnocchi"! That stuff is seriously amazing. Cheese and potatoes are just a great pair.

    ReplyDelete