Pages

November 23, 2009

Empanada Extravaganza

I love to eat, and more importantly, I love to snack! I like being able to walk into my kitchen and just pick something up. No cooking, no hassle. Empanadas help me do just that. I can make them sweet or salty and fill them up with just about anything. Granted, they do take a while to prepare, but the outcome is usually worth it.

Last night I made corn filled ones. I found the recipe online.Next time I make these I will also be making some kind of dipping sauce.

Corn Empanadas

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper (to taste)
2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
1 parsley
8 (6-inch) store-bought empanada wrappers
Vegetable or canola oil


FILLING: Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook until smooth and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add the milk slowly while whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, paying special attention to the corners of the saucepan. Add the paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the corn and parsley, return to a simmer. Scrape the filling into a bowl and cool completely before filling wrappers



To Form: Moisten the edges of 1 of the empanada wrappers with a fingertip dipped in warm water. Center a generous 1/3-cup of the filling on the wrapper. Bring the sides of the wrapper together to meet over the filling and pinch the sides together to seal and form a half-moon shape. Lay the half-moon flat on the work surface. Work you way around the edges, bringing about 1/2-inch of the bottom layer of dough up and over the top layer, to make a mini-pleat. Press as you go to seal the pleats. If you don't want to mess with crimping, just seal the edges all the way around with the tips of the tines of a fork.
FRYING: (empanadas may also be baked): Pour enough vegetable or canola oil into a large heavy skillet to fill about 3/4-inch up the sides. Heat over medium heat until the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon immersed in the oil gives off a lively sizzle, about 375 degrees F. Carefully slip as many of the empanadas into the oil as will fit without crowding. Cook until the dough is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip and repeat. Drain briefly on paper towels before serving. Repeat with remaining empanadas.
My baked my empanadas. If fried they will get more golden. I opted for the healthier option.

Make sure the empanadas are properly closed, especially if you're baking them. If not they will empty out.

To bake, set the oven to 375 degress and place them on a non stick baking pan or parchment paper. I prefer the non stick. 25 minutes until golden brown.

I brush them with a mix of mix and powerdered sugar. It helps with the color and gives it a sweeter taste.



I also decided to make a sweet filled one. This one is very easy and really doesn't require much cooking.

Guava and Cheese Empanada

1 can or bar Guava paste
1 package Cream Cheese
1 pack (6-inch) store-bought empanada wrappers

The guava is sold in spanish supermarkets or in the ethnic section of some markets. They come in a can or in a bar. Either one if fine.


Cut one strip of cheese and one of guave and place them together in the middle of the empanada wrapper. Mositen the edges with the egg wash and seal (I used a fork) and bake/fry. That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment